“The 12 Gifts of Retail Christmas” for a Happy New Year
On the third day of Christmas VM-Unleashed! gave to me…
No.3 “The Answer to How Much Product to put in my Store!”
Space planning & visual merchandising are the two cornerstones on which an attractive and commercial store are built
At the heart of this is the eternal question – “How much product should I put in my store?”
Get space planning wrong, allocate product incorrectly or deliver visual merchandising operations inefficiently and a store will never attain its potential sales productivity.
Marrying the “beauty and the beast” of the assortment comes down to an absolute certainty and consistency within a business on a few key questions:
- am I displaying with the correct option density?
- am I converting square metres into linear metres correctly?
- are my fixtures giving me the optimum linear metres?
- are my display techniques in-line with best practice?
- is my use of props and mannequins appropriate?
- how does the first 1/3rd of my store compare to my competitors?
- is my visual communication saying the right things?
This is how we can help…
Space Planning & Visual Merchandising Audits
“How can I improve sales performance by better planning my space, allocating and managing my assortment, displaying my product and improving customer interaction & touchpoints?”
Detailed measurement and comparison of selected store attributes from space allocation to display techniques, from store props to visual communication
- measuring and comparing display density and display type, rhythm and techniques
- measuring and comparing space conversion of sq metres to linear metres
- measuring the type, balance and number of wall & floor fixtures
- measuring type and density of messages & POS
- measuring busts, mannequins and visual props
- measuring focal points, power walls, gondola ends and store touchpoints
- measuring & assessing the touchpoints, mechanics & impact of the first 1/3rd of the store
- measuring the consistency of all above deliverables between selected client stores
- comparison across all above deliverables with competitors and best practice stores
- assessment of opportunities for more consistency within own stores and recommendations on improvements to achieve competitor best practice
- Identifies problems with inconsistencies across the client chain
- Identifies the processes & disciplines required to improve consistency
- Identifies opportunities to improve to achieve best practice
- Identifies where investment should be focused for maximum visual impact and return
- Identifies general and specific strengths/weaknesses across departmental disciplines
- Selected client store visits and best practice competitor stores
- Remote analysis, answers and action plan
- Client presentation workshop
Aggressive actions (from a potentially long list):
- identify correct option density by store based on its size and performance
- modify the wall and floor fixturing to give a store its competitive display metres
- invigorate space and display at the store front and first 1/3rd
- invest in props/mannequins and displays that directly increase KPIs
- change wall display rhythms, techniques and densities
- put the best product in the best place…
Please get in touch. We’ll be happy to help & advise…
+44 (0)7967 609849